There are 5 ways to find affordable/free counselling:
1. Your GP may be part of the Primary Health Options which funds up to 4 free counselling sessions – enquire with them.
2. If you have been diagnosed with Depression, you would be entitled to up to $58 “Disability Allowance” which could go towards counselling fees – most counsellors ask you top up this fee depending on what you can afford. To apply for this, pick up a WINZ Disability Allowance application form for counselling and have your GP and your counsellor fill out the details.
3. Mothers Helpers provides group therapy at $60/session at our PND Recovery Course. If you are eligible for a WINZ subsidy, these sessions will be available to you free of charge. Alternatively, you can attend online group therapy for the PND Recovery Course at $20/session. Mothers Helpers does offer one-on-one follow up sessions at a cost of $80/hr. If eligible for a WINZ subsidy, this can reduce the charge to you. We are currently applying for funding to offer free or subsidised post-course counselling.
4. If you have experienced abuse, you may be eligible for ACC to fund your counselling sessions.
5. A fifth option if you are not wanting to complete the PND Recovery Course with Mothers Helpers (for whatever reason) would be sourcing a counsellor through Youthline (not just for youth) or a student counsellor through your local Citizens Advice Bureau .